If you didn’t already know, summer is my absolute favorite season for so many reasons. The warm sunshine, beach breezes, and basically living in a swimsuit or airy dress from June through September gives me life! But more importantly, this time of the year brings back a sense of nostalgia and reminds me of all the fun activities I got to experience as a kid. (Thanks mom and dad!) Even though 2020 is still such a weird year (to say the least), you can still have the best summer ever. Yes. I said BEST SUMMER EVER. With a little bit of creativity, there are so many ways you can still live it up over the next few months with your significant other. If you’re looking for activities for your next date night (or day out), here are 20 ideas to enjoy each other’s company throughout the summer.
1. Enjoy a movie under the stars, whether at home in your backyard or at a drive-in theater. Nothing screams summer quite like watching a movie outside, especially Grease or Jaws. For those who aren’t too into movies, Shark Week is a great option, too! (P.S. Cranford Theater recently announced they’ll be hosting drive-in movies, and although June looks like they are already sold out, keep an eye on their website for future movie showings!)
2. Break out the old school board games like Monopoly, Jenga, scrabble, Backgammon, or even Twister.
3. Take a bike ride on the Sandy Hook peninsula. We did this during the week and absolutely loved the water views, historical monuments, The Chapel, lighthouse (photo right), and how we got to explore Fort Hancock. Just be sure to bring water and wear SPF, as there isn’t a ton of shade and it got hot pretty quickly.
4. Who says you have to spend hundreds of dollars at a spa?! Slip into comfy robes and slippers, and set up your own DIY spa date complete with face masks, a bath for two, soothing music and massage oils.
5. Visiting various breweries is a day out that my husband and I frequently add into our calendars (pre-pandemic.) But guess what, you can bring the winery or brewery to you! Head to your local liquor store, grab some new wines and beers from local breweries and set up your own tasting at home. Just don’t forget the pretzels or charcuterie boards.
6. Watch the sunrise or sunset; is there anything more romantic?!
7. Pack a cooler and head to your favorite beach
8. Have an outdoor brunch with all your breakfast and lunch favorites. Think eggs, bacon, waffles, fresh fruit, bakery favorites like muffins and danishes, coffee, mimosas, and salads!
9. Get out on the water and go kayaking, boating, or paddle boarding.
10. Take a nature hike and enjoy an afternoon among wildlife. Don’t forget the bug spray! (Photo left is from a hike in the Adirondack mountains last summer.)
11. Play a round of miniature golf (or tee off at a scenic course)
12. Cook a romantic dinner together at home, dim the lights and light some candles. It will be just as good as going to your favorite cozy restaurant.
13. Hit the batting cages or arcades
14. Pack your favorite sandwiches, snacks, drinks, and a blanket to have a picnic in the park.
15. Have a bonfire and make s’mores!
16. Take a road trip down the Jersey Shore coast stopping at a few charming seaside towns along the way or if beach towns aren’t your thing, then take a scenic ride in the mountains, instead!
17. Camp under the twinkling stars in your own backyard. (Indoor bathrooms are a huge plus, especially if you’re not usually the camping type!) Set up your camping chairs, a tent, lanterns, and firepit for the ultimate experience including stargazing!
18. Hire a photographer and have a photoshoot. Whether you’re engaged or already married, this is a wonderful way to get updated photos, reconnect, and have fun with pictures with no pressure! (Photo right captured by Jill Lynn Photography)
19. Get ice cream and walk around your favorite quaint town, like downtown Princeton or Cape May.
20. Go go kart racing